• Interaction is one of the most fundamental human processes – enables us to learn
• Brings humanity to machines if you can interact with it
• You get something out of interaction
• Interaction is intervention, not interpretation
PERFECTIVE: Complete narrative.
IMPERFECTIVE: Incomplete narrative.
• Perfective. Audience can participate in the story (like play piano) but not change it.
• Perfective. You choose where you want to go, and decide the ending. But all the endings are complete.
• Main options at the side but you get to fill in the gaps with whatever you want.
• Imperfective. Audience can do whatever they want.
Andy Cameron cites work of Max Whitby:
• Stories are serious and for adults. High cultural value.
• Games are fun and for kids. Low cultural value.
LUDOLOGY: Study of gameplay.