• Looked at potential impact of progression of technology
• “Medium is the massage” (not message)
• It affects everything we do
• “judge new media by old media” (not a direct quote) – media is more important than the content
PRINT MEDIA (OLD MEDIA)
• Communication only goes one way. It tells you stuff but can't change.
DIGITAL MEDIA (NEW MEDIA)
• Simultaneous media – use more than one at once
• Fluid and malleable
• Can interact with it more, whereas you can't really with a book
• Some social/economic barriers with accessibility e.g. not everyone has internet, some countries have filters (such as China)
AUTHORSHIP AND OWNERSHIP: Issues around hosting content on website. Sometimes you lose ownership of work to owners of website e.g. facebook
• Noted that people started letting Powerpoint BE the presentation. People don't learn from reading a few bullet point on a slide, they learn from talking/interacting.
• Analogue vs digital
• Digital media can be merged – in the end it's all reduced to binary code. Analogue can't do this.